fort contained three artillery pieces: a 32-pound naval gun which was placed on the
southeast corner of the fort, and two 12-pound Napoleon guns, one of which was
placed on the southwest corner and another on the northwest corner.
The two 12-pound guns,
known as Napoleons after the French Emperor Louis Napoleon, were among the
most popular and dependable guns of the Civil War period. The
12-pounder had a smooth bore, was effective, and easily maneuvered. It
had a range of 1600 yards using the solid shot, shell, or case shot.
Within short distances, a canister loaded with shot was used with
lethal effects. The 12-pound Napoleon guns that are now in the fort
are reproductions made by South Bend Replicas (cast iron barrel) and Paulson
Brothers Ordinance Corp. (aluminum carriage).
The 32-pound naval gun was
constructed by Charles Lott of Lott Pattern Shop in West Point. Plans
for the 32-pounder were provided by Gary Blakeney in Pascagoula,
Mississippi. This cannon is identical in design to the cannon used in
the 1989 movie "Glory."